The Most Powerful Being and the Simulation Argument
As a disclaimer, this is a thought experiment, not an attempt at a scientific argument.
Okay, so continuing my thoughts on the Simulation Argument, I’d like to throw in some possible additions to it.
The More Powerful Being Argument
- If more powerful beings create more simulations
- And less powerful beings create fewer simulations
- Then we are probably in a simulation created by a more powerful being.
The hole in this argument is that it is possible for a “long-tail” to be in effect, where the mass of less powerful beings create more simulations in total than the total number of simulations created by the more powerful beings. Someone better equipped mathematically will have to help me out here.
But I think that this argument would still hold under either of the following conditions:
A. If the power distribution follows an exponential curve, where the last being in the sequence would be more powerful than all the other beings combined.
B. If the power distribution follows the Pareto principle, and 20% of the beings hold 80% of the power.
If an entity’s ability to create simulations advances with technological progress, and if Moore’s Law continues to hold, then we’d have condition A. If resources are allocated according to prevailing standards, and that continues to hold indefinitely, then we’d have condition B.
We can take this further.
The End of Time Argument
- If the number of simulations increases exponentially over time
- Then we are probably in a simulation created very near the end of time.
The Most Powerful Being Argument
- If the most powerful being creates more simulations than every other being combined
- Then we are probably in a simulation created by the most powerful being.
These both, of course, are operating on the basis of condition A.
The Infinite Being Argument
- If there exists a being (or beings) who creates an infinite number of simulations
- Then we are probably in a simulation created by an infinite being.
Could such a being exist? I have no idea. I have no idea how we would establish that, other than looking at the broad scope of the multiverse, and suggesting that it might be possible.
But these arguments as a whole seem suggestive to me, indicating that if we are in a simulation, it is probably one created by an extremely powerful being near the end of time. And that would explain why we don’t keep getting “Out Of Memory” errors.