I’ve decided to begin putting down my own personal approaches to things as “protocols”, both for myself, and for anyone who might derive some utility from this bizarre practice.
- By default, all file names are structured like this: 20xx-xx-xx filename.txt
- Tags may be added: 20xx-xx-xx TAGINCAPS filename.txt
- Projects are grouped together in a small, flat folder structure. In this case, the file naming gets transferred to the folder: 20xx-xx-xx Project Name
- Should be kept to a minimum. Use plain .txt for everything possible - .rtf after that.
- If it’s a music file, it should ideally be in lossless AIFF or mp3.
- Todo lists are kept in plain .txt, but can be viewed and edited through Taskpaper.
- Similarly, use Markdown if possible.
- Try to replace Excel with CSV, where possible. Barring that, use Google Docs.
- Use Picasa to import (doesn’t lock in your files)
- create a folder for that import (20xx-xx-xx picasa), and tell Picasa to import to that folder BY DATE TAKEN
- this will create folders inside with each day photos were taken, and will contain the photos themselves a further layer down.